After this was done, I removed the chicken and the vegetables, took off all the usable meat, threw the bones back in the slow cooker, added water up to the top, and cooked on low overnight. Cool, skim, strain... instant delicious broth. Woo!
- 7-8 lb oven roaster chicken (Although my grocery store often only has 5lb+ fryers, and they work fine too. Just gives less meat.) [Mine was about 5 pounds too.]
- One onion cut into large pieces
- Several stalks of celery, with their leafy tops (I use 2-3)
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 bottle of Guinness draught beer [I used Sam Adams]
- 4 whole cloves of garlic [I added]
- 1 large carrot, sliced into 1-inch pieces [I added]
- Salt, pepper, paprika, thyme [I added savory]
Cover and cook on low for at least 5 hours. Mine was on for more like 8, and then on warm for another few... don't think you can go wrong here. I didn't measure the temperature, but the chicken was clearly cooked through -- no pink anywhere.