Breakfast Cookies

Adapted from King Arthur Flour. I love KAF so much I wish I could marry it. Seriously.

Anyway, they originally posted this recipe at the end of August and I thought, meh, I could pass on that. But it was in my email inbox this morning and I today I thought, hmm, maybe? KAF will tell you that they aren't intended to be eaten every morning for breakfast and honestly I'm only making them for Michael. He's half Hobbit and requires a second breakfast no matter how big of a bowl of oatmeal he eats in the morning. Also, I think these would be good to take on a weekend trip or make them for a hostess gift next time you spend the night at a friend's house.

As with most recipes, I cut the sugar. You won't notice that it's missing.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup + a little more natural peanut butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk (I used non-fat)
7 oz or 1.5-ish C KAF white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup dried milk (I used non-fat)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4.5 C add-ins of your choice (I used rolled oats, cooked quinoa, unsweetened flaked coconut, almond meal and a 7 oz bag of Sunmaid Fruit Bits)

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2) In the bowl of your mixer combine the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat on medium high speed until lightened and fluffy.

3) Add in the eggs and liquid milk, mix until well combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl once or twice.

4) On low speed mix in the flour, dried milk, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until the dough is cohesive. Add 4 1/2 cups total of your favorite add ins and mix until all are incorporated.

5) Scoop generous 1/4 cup mounds (I used a #24 scoop and got about 28 cookies) of batter 2 inches apart on the parchment lined sheets. Slightly flatten each mound. This recipe contains no leaveners, so the cookies will only spread and rise slightly.

6) Bake the cookies for 18 to 22 minutes, until lightly browned. Do not over-bake or the cookies will be dry and crumbly. Cool on cookie sheets for 5-8 minutes. Move to a rack to cool completely. Yield: lots of cookies, depending on size.

Based on my add-ins and qty of cookies, the nutritional content is 234 kcals, 2.6 g fiber and 7.3 g protein.

Comments

hefk said…
Accounting for his lovely height, if Michael is half Hobbit, then maybe his other half is Ent? :)

These cookies sound delicious.
gwen said…
I heartily support the mere concept of "breakfast cookies."
Kelly said…
Ha--I think he is part Ent! Too funny!

I must say, the cookies do make a mighty fine snack. I'm an oatmeal lover so that's what I eat for breakfast every morning but, hey, these have oats in them too!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe