Broccoli Soup

adapted from: Down Home with the Neelys

Makes about 9 cups, at ~ 1 pt per cup

Ok, I very loosely followed the original recipe, because I wanted to make it healthier (bumped up the veg, decreased the fat), wanted to use up some extra veg I have (turnips) and also I incorporated some suggestions in the comments (yay, suggestion for turnips!) You could certainly make it creamier by adding heavy cream, or even a can of evaporated milk, which I would have used if I had any left in the pantry. I had to use low-fat milk, because that's what I had. I'm going to put this one in the freezer to pull out for lunches when I need it.

1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium turnips, diced (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
dash or two of nutmeg
dash or two of granulated garlic
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or veg broth to make it vegetarian)
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup whatever milk you have on hand


Directions

Melt butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, turnip, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Stir in granulated garlic and nutmeg. Add stock and broccoli and bring to boil.

Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes. Pour in milk. With an immersion blender, puree the soup. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed, and then replace the lid back on the pot. Serve hot.

Note: By my calculations, this totals 7 points for the whole pot, and I got approximately 9 cups out of it, so I would call it a 1-point soup if you're having 1 to 1.5 cups per serving.

Comments

gwen said…
So, here is a question for you freezer mavens. Is it OK to freeze milk-based soups like this (and the baked potato soup I'm about to post)? Will they thaw out reasonably well, or get water-y and separate-y?
Alissa said…
I'm not sure. I've never really had a problem with that, but I know other people have mentioned it. This broccoli soup recipe doesn't have much milk in it, so it will probably be fine. Maybe I just don't have the same high standards as other people do, but I've never had a problem with thawing and reheating frozen soups. :)
Unknown said…
I don't think you'd have a problem freezing and then reheating. I wouldn't want to do that with, say, a clam chowder or cream of potato soup. but this should be just fine.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe