Crustless mini-quiches

One more recipe and I'm done for today.
I'm awful about breakfast. I forget to pack it, I have no time to make it in the morning, I end up grabbing something from Starb*cks or I go without and then am starving by 10 a.m.
My all-encompassing goal for 2011 is "less." Less eating out, less money leaving my wallet, less weight on my hips.
Having breakfast ready to grab in the morning will help with that.

This is adapted from The Kitchn -- I didn't use their zucchini filling because I didn't have any zucchini in the house. Instead I had some leftover bacon from yesterday's breakfast and I crumbled some in each mini muffin cup. Next time, definitely using the zucchini. Or maybe some sauteed spinach.

1/4 c. cornstarch
1 1/4 c. whole milk
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 c. heavy cream
3/4 t. kosher salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
oil for the pan
1/4 cup gruyere or parmesan, grated
filling of choice (sausage, veg, bacon, herbs)

Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Prepare Batter: Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisking steadily, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the milk, mixing until quite smooth. Whisk in the whole eggs and egg yolks, mixing again until smooth, then gradually whisk in the rest of the milk, the cream, salt, and nutmeg. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to one day. If using the next day, be sure to re-whisk.
Oil mini muffin tins well. Put a pinch grated cheese into each muffin cup, a teaspoon of zucchini mixture, and pinch of chopped fresh basil. Pour 1 tablespoon of the batter into each muffin cup.
Bake until the quiches puff and start to turn golden, 15-18 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully run a paring knife around the rim of each muffin cup. Carefully lift each quiche out of its cup.
Mini quiches freeze very well. Let cool, then freeze in a single layer in a covered container. Reheat on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes.

Comments

Alissa said…
I have solved this problem for myself by making my breakfast ahead of time (like this recipe), just like I make my lunches ahead of time.

I have been making egg sandwiches for myself, because I like them a lot and it feels decadent to eat them so frequently. However, when I make them at home with egg whites and veggie sausage, I can eat them multiple times a week, which I could not do with the cheese-laden, meat-topped, bagel-flanked creations at the food truck outside my office. :)

I make mine in the microwave, but you could also easily do it in a skillet if microwaving eggs doesn't float your boat. I like to do it in the microwave because I get the perfect shape that way, and surprisingly the eggs come out fluffy and not rubbery. I start with a 2-cup round Pyrex dish sprayed with non-stick spray. I chop up some veggie sausage, Canadian bacon, spinach, tomatoes, whatever I want to use that day. Put some of that into the dish. Pour some scrambled egg whites over the top, microwave for 2 minutes. I make up a whole week's worth of these, and then each morning I take one out, reheat it briefly (30 seconds does it without making it rubbery), toast up a sandwich round, and within 3 minutes I have a breakfast sandwich I can take with me as I walk out the door.

My next project is to try overnight crockpot oatmeal, which would be ready in the morning when I wake up. Or, maybe making a pot of steel-cut oats over the weekend, which I've heard reheats pretty well with a splash of added milk.
hefk said…
Alissa, you're hired.

Doesn't Kelly crockpot her steelcut oats? I don't know why I remember this, except that I thought it was adorable how excited she was that she had gotten a mini crockpot for Christmas. I remember her gleeful response was, "Now I can make my steelcut oats!"

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe