Lemon Couscous Chicken

This is a great recipe, and it's really easy.

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
2 c. broccoli flowerets (I use fresh, but frozen would probably be ok, too)
1 package roasted garlic & olive oil couscous
1 1/2 c. chopped cooked chicken
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 T)
1 t grated lemon peel

In large skillet, bring 1 1/4 cups water, olive oil, broccoli, and contents of the couscous spice pack to a boil. Stir in couscous, chicken, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff lightly with fork.

Makes 4 servings.

Tips:
- I start by cooking the chicken in my skillet with a little oil, making sure it cooks all the way through. While it's cooking, I'm chopping my broccoli and getting the lemon seeded. When the chicken is ready, I remove it, chop it, and use the same skillet for the recipe itself.

- The recipe says to serve immediately, but it can be made ahead and refrigerated (haven't tried freezing it yet). It's also good as leftovers. When reheating, it has a tendency to dry out. Add some water when you're reheating, and it'll be fine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I made this for dinner last night, and it was fantastic! Becky, do you ever need to throw in more water at the end, though? Some of the couscous didn't get any, but I think I might not have put in enough in the beginning. In any case, it turned out really well.

And the greatest thing about this recipe (aside from the fact that it was really good in the end) was that I actually had all the ingredients in my house. I did only have plain couscous, though, so I had to improvise whatever the spice packet might have been -- I threw in some dried rosemary, sage and oregano, and it was excellent. Very lemony and tangy and good.

Three cheers for the new recipe blog...
Becky said…
I've never put in more water at the end. Perhaps the two of us added the couscous differently? I stir it pretty well to make sure all of it gets wet, so maybe that's different? Or maybe I let it sit for a shorter amount of time. Who can say?

I don't know what's in the spice sack, other than roasted garlic. I'll have to try your variation, it sounds delish! =)

Becky
Anonymous said…
You know what, I don't think I stirred it at all when I threw the couscous in -- I bet that was the problem. But it didn't matter, because there wasn't any excess water at the end or anything, so it totally works either way. I have the leftovers again for lunch today... yum...
Unknown said…
I'm picking up the stuff to make this sometime this week. :) Yum.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe