Bok Choi and Mushroom Mu Shu Wraps

It was at the G-zer home, during a summer home from college, that I first tasted mu shu. The cabbagey, eggy filling! The delicate pancakes giftwrapped in foil! The tiny plastic cup of sweet plum hoisin sauce! The filling wrapped in the pancake and topped with the sauce was like a little heavenly Chinese fajita and I had no idea such delights existed. In my own family home we ALWAYS ordered the same two take out items from H0ng K0ng Garden -- mu gu gai pan, a chicken, broccoli, water chestnut & snow pea dish, and another dish that was entirely composed of spicy green beans. I liked both, but my awareness of the take out menu ended there! Ever since that night with the G-zer fam, I've been a little obsessed with mu shu.

This recipe called specifically for baby bok choi and shiitake. Despite my meal planning and iron clad grocery list, I frequently become distracted shopping with my li'l girlfriend, Sasha, and this time, I bought big bok choi and portobello (I know, I know. whatever. it tasted fine.)
The recipe also suggests cooking in sesame oil, but I recently read or heard that sesame oil is meant to be used as a seasoning after cooking because intense heat changes the flavor or make-up (anyone?), so I used veg oil as I have found olive oil sometimes turns stir fry-type dishes to mush.


2 lg eggs
1-2 T veg oil
1/2 lb. thinkly sliced mushrooms (5+ mushrooms)
3/4 lb. bok choi, thinly sliced (4 C)
2 med. carrots cut into matchsticks (1 C)
3 green onions (I used shallots)
2 cloves garlic (forgot it, but it's in my Soy Vey hoisin)
5 oz. tofu sliced thin (I used Gwen's method of prep with 1:1 hoisin & water as marinade)
warmed mu shu wraps or tortillas
hoisin sauce

Whisk eggs in a bowl with 2 T water, season with s & p. Pour eggs in to nonstick skillet and cook as a very thin omelet on each side until just set.
Transfer eggs onto cutting board and slice into thin ribbons.

Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Saute mushrooms until soft. Remove mushrooms and stir fry bok choy, carrots and onion until crisp tender. (I finished with a quick steam with a little liquid in the pan and the lid on to speed the process)

Transfer to bowl and toss with hoisin.
Wrap filling in a tortilla or wrapper like a mini-burrito and enjoy.

from Vegetarian Times, July/Aug 2008 (thanks, Kelly!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe