old standby: stirfry with tofu

Upon Shannon's request, this is the first of my two default dishes (and neither of them is as creative as Kate's vegetable soup, which sounds really good and I am definitely going to try). Stirfry is the slightly more upscale old standby, since it requires that I actually have non-expired tofu and decent veggies in the fridge.

Press the tofu. It is tempting to skip this step, but you will regret it -- I learned a technique from Smitten Kitchen that is going to be my permanent go-to tofu treatment now: press and cube the tofu, then toss it in a baggie full of cornstarch (I actually have some weird wheat substitute because the hippie store didn't have cornstarch).

Fry the tofu in a pan with some olive oil, making sure to flip each cube individually after the down-facing side is golden brown.

Boil water for noodles -- I usually like soba or rice noodles with stirfry -- or couscous.

While the tofu cooks, take all the vegetables in your refrigerator and cut them into bite-sized pieces.

Heat chopped garlic and onion in a pan, and then throw in the rest of the vegetables in whatever order, depending on cooking time. Or you could just do it all at once and that will be fine. Nothing bad can ever happen to stirfry! Throw some curry paste or terikayi or soy sauce on top and cook.

(That same Smitten Kitchen recipe I was talking about earlier has a coconut milk variation that is also easy and delicious. I will post that later.)

Drain noodles, throw everything together, eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe