Broccoli and Cheese soup

I'm still exhausted from our trip to DC yesterday, and it was sort of gray and rainy today, so I figured it was a good day to make soup.
An even better day to make soup in my slow cooker, because it means I don't have to babysit it while it bubbles away on the stove. And, because we really ate a lot of junk yesterday (even if the take-out had a bunch of vegetables in it), I wanted to make something predominately vegetable tonight, too.
This soup fit all of the criteria, and was really good. And gave me an excuse to go to Trader Joe's to buy cheese this afternoon. Here's the original recipe, on a site Gwen and I have both been checking out recently.
And here's how I did it, based on what I read in some of the comments. There's not much that can go wrong with broccoli and cheese together, in my mind. This was good, easy and Gaby gobbled it up. I'll be making it again.

1 qt chicken broth (or vegetable)
2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 16 oz bags of frozen broccoli florets (because that's what they had at the store)
1/2 diced white onion
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 cup each of three different cheeses, I used cheddar, Gouda and Jarlsberg

Mince the onion into really small pieces. The onions are going to soften in the milk and the broth, and need to be quite small so you don't crunch on onion pieces when the soup is complete.
Add the onion to your crockpot, and top with the milk, broth, and spices. Stir in the two frozen bags of broccoli.
Cook on low for 7-9 hours or on high for 4-6. The broth is done when the onion is cooked nicely.
Twenty minutes or so before serving, shred all the cheese you are going to use, and stir it in. The cheese will be stringy and will stick to the broccoli florets---that's okay! I also added some leftover white rice to the soup at this point, for a little extra texture. I bet it'd be good with brown rice, or with no rice at all.
Serve with bread or rolls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe