Old standby -- pinto bean soup and refried beans

I can remember being a kid and my mother making a huge pot of pinto bean soup. At the time it seemed so exciting -- we loved the soup and it seemed like it was a big deal for her to make it.
Now that I'm older, I realize how simple and easy it is, which is probably why Mom made it. Plus, cheap.
There's definitely no recipe for this. But here's how I do it.


One bag pinto beans, rinsed and picked over.
Put the beans in a pot, cover with water and let soak overnight.

When you're ready to cook them, drain the beans and rinse again, then put in a different pot.
To that pot you can add:
One onion, diced
A few cloves of garlic, minced, or a generous sprinkling of granulated garlic
Cumin, if you like.
4-5 slices of bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
a ham hock, if you've got one.
Salt (how much you use will depend on if you use ham/bacon or not)

Cover all this up with water, and turn the heat on low. And cook until the beans are done. The amount of water you use will determine how much broth you have, but be sure to check it periodically to make sure the water isn't boiling off. I usually cook mine for about 1.5-2 hours, or until the beans are nice and soft.
Ladle into bowls, serve with sour cream, salsa, avocado, etc., if you like. We always eat it with corn bread.


Now, and this is the added bonus of making your own soup. You're going to have a lot of leftover beans. The beans freeze very well, so divide into portions. When you defrost them, you can either have more bean soup, or homemade refried beans.
My dad always plopped the beans in a cast iron skillet, mashed them with a potato masher, and added milk and cheese to get to the right consistency (which is however you like it).
I'm lazy, so I plop mine in a food processor, give them a whirl, then add the milk and cheese once I put them in the pan. Cook until heated through, and all the cheese melts.

I use the refried beans for tostadas, or just for eating with tortillas. Sometimes I eat them out of the pan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe