Kate's old standby - basic vegetable soup

Sunday nights at our house are always the same - vegetable soup using up whatever veggies are leftover from the week, fresh bread (made in our bread machine) and cheese.

All I do is melt a large spoonful of butter in a saucepan, and saute a chopped onion and maybe some garlic. Then I add whatever vegetables we have - usually a couple of carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, pepper, etc. I always throw in a potato for thickness. I allow the veg to cook in the butter for a few minutes and then add water and powdered stock - just enough to cover everything. I let it simmer away for about half an hour and then blend it with the hand blender. Served with warm bread, it's delicious. Any leftovers are frozen or eaten for lunch during the week.

Justin doesn't like vegetables and can't really cook, but he loves this meal, and he's learned how to make it. I love it because it's healthy, vegetarian, and a good way to use up vegetables that are looking a bit sad. And I get Sunday night off from cooking.

Comments

Unknown said…
This was fantastic, Kate. I had some zucchini, asparagus, spinach, carrots and green beans languishing in my fridge and this made great use of them.
We'll be making this again, I know. Even Ernie and Gaby inhaled it, and I usually have a struggle getting them to eat their vegetables.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe